Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Cross Crusade Open Forum
 Cross Crusade Forums : Cross Crusade Open Forum
Subject Topic: handicapped fans at Alpenrose Oct 2? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
beth
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 2011 18 September at 21:32 | IP Logged Quote beth

My cousin, who lives out of town and has never seen me race, is
convalescing in Portland after major surgery and is wheelchair-bound for
the next five months. (His foot has just been removed from a halo and is
about to be fitted with a more durable, shock-absorbing cast).)

He has been cleared by his doctors to come watch me race at Alpenrose
on October2, because that site is closest to his rehab facility.
Since I know the site can be very crowded I am wondering how difficult it
will be for him to negotiate his way in?

Ideally, He'd like to be able to park somewhere and watch. Suggestions for
where along the course would be ideal for a large wheelchair and
accompanying attendant to be positioned, as well as any possibilities of
handicapped-specific access to and from the course, would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks! --beth

android

Posted: 2011 24 September at 00:08 | IP Logged Quote android

It is a little hard to tell -- there are a lot of variables on top of the weather and timing and the whole general environment is fluid, but I will give a shot at providing my ideas to help you out based on past observations at Alpenrose Cross Crusades..

As you know, parking can be a bit of a struggle for all at Alpenrose, especially early mid-morning to after about noon.  The parking staff are really pretty good - they will try to accommodate all comers, but you have to remember that these things take time and patience and they are dealing with a lot of cars. (Carpooling and cycling to venue are encouraged!) 

I am not entirely sure what you mean when you say "park somewhere and watch" -- I am going to assume that that means "park the chair" because cyclocross really isn't an "indoor sport"; I can make a couple of suggestions for places that I have watched that would be amenable to that kind of "parking".  
  • One of my favorite "unknown" places that can see a lot of the action is up above the "run-up stairs".  You can get there with curb cuts from where the course and the start chute meet.  There is a bit of tarmac up there that takes you west to overlook the flat field just south of the expo/southeast of the velodrome.  Good views of the race in many directions, might want to bring some binoculars for real fun.
  • Usually the sidewalks by the velodrome are pretty crowded, especially north of registration - that isn't a good place for ANYONE to park or even stand and jaw because it is so crowded and a through-way to other parts of the course.  However, if you go to the sidewalk on the south side of the registration house (towards the now duck pond), one could see both the velodrome/off-camber south of the velodrome and possible a bit of the flat grassy area.  Access that sidewalk by the pond - it will be dicey - that is where the race course is!
  • To get close to the action, just think where the course is on the road.  Once again, probably southeast of the registration house would be the best chance of getting bell-ringing close. The bend northeast of registration is usually a congested mess.
If you really do want to park a gasoline/diesel/oil/water/uranium/bunker oil/natural gas/wind burning device (who knows where that juice comes from these days) with a view of the course, you should come very early and vie for some team parking frontage.  Of course, tents are priority for course-side, but if the team is short?  

I thought about bringing a scissor lift to get a better vantage point.
Back to Top View android's Profile Search for other posts by android Visit android's Homepage

beth
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: 2011 24 September at 10:21 | IP Logged Quote beth

This is a really helpful reply. Of course I meant somewhere to park his
oversized, extra-wide wheelchair. Binoculars are a good suggestion. Thanks
so much!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version